Wednesday, May 21, 2008

SSAS 2005 : My Best Practices

1. OLTP database

2. OLAP database

  • for query performance, use user defined hierarchy as much as possible except if you use custom rollup. In this case, Parent-Child hierarchies are more performant.
  • Case When mdx has been more performant than IIF in some case. When I used the Case When in a calculation of my cubes the time query was faster. Personaly, I don't hesitate to compare the response time of my query with an IIF statement and with a case when in the cube calculations part.
  • Decrease the number of cube calculation. Cause these calculations are evaluated on the fly.

In plus of my best practices, you can find more on the microsoft website (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/bestpractice/olapdbpssas2005.mspx)

No comments: